- My kicker hadn’t missed the extra point attempt.
- Jimmy Graham had at least one point instead of -.10.
- Brandin Cooks had stayed in bounds.
- Brady hadn’t thrown an interception.
- The Patriots hadn’t of scored so quickly giving the Steelers too much time on the clock.
- One of my running backs could have gained 4 more yards.
- I had started Mike Evans.
Only if one of these things happened I wouldn’t have lost in the semifinal round of my UCFL (Union County Football League) tournament by 1/3rd of a point. Only if one of these things happened I’d be playing this week for a chance at the $1000 prize and the championship belt.
But only one of these things was in my control. The last one.
I’ve surely kicked myself over that mistake, but I can’t linger on all of the other factors.
We can’t lose sleep over the things in our lives beyond our control.
Only if I was born in a different family.
Only if I was taller.
Only if I had blue eyes.
Only if I could sing like Mellancamp.
God made us like He wanted and He thought that was good enough. He gave us the gifts and skills to work hard to improve every area of our lives. He gave us the sense to learn from our mistakes. As believers, he gave us the Holy Spirit and the Bible to teach and correct us.
Things won’t always go our way, but God also gave us His promise in Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Only if we would believe it…